- Veerasathpurush (Sath)
- BDS, MBA, MHA, PhD, MMSc
- Department Head of Orthodontics
- Brodie Craniofacial Endowed Chair
Dr. Veerasathpurush (Sath) Allareddy serves as the Department Head of Orthodontics and Brodie Craniofacial Endowed Chair. He is a tenured Professor in the Department of Orthodontics. Prior to joining UIC, he served as Professor of Orthodontics and Director of Clinical Research at the College of Dentistry and Dental Clinics - The University of Iowa and was the Director of Pre-doctoral Orthodontics at Harvard School of Dental Medicine. His area of research excellence is Health Process and Clinical Outcomes Evaluation. He has conducted research to examine and identify risk factors and effects of preventable adverse events, medical errors, and major peri-operative complications in patients undergoing complex surgical procedures such as craniosynostosis repairs, orthognathic surgeries, stem cell transplantations, facial reconstructions, etc. His research represents evaluations of healthcare delivery processes, access to care, and clinical outcomes. His research has examined oral and systemic health linkages and identified potential pathways to improve care in patients undergoing complex surgical procedures. He is the principal investigator on the Class II – Practice Based Research Network (PBRN) study funded by the American Association of Orthodontists Foundation. He has been successful in fostering research collaborations between multiple Universities. He has been the team leader/principal investigator on multiple projects that brought together world renowned experts. He has published over 170 research articles in peer reviewed journals, presented over 250 posters at regional/national/international scientific meetings, and collaborated with close to 250 researchers affiliated to more than 25 different Universities. He serves as Chair of the American Association of Orthodontists Practice Based Research Network Committee, is a member of the American Association of Orthodontists Foundation Rapid Assessment of Evidence Committee, and is a peer reviewer of over 30 international scientific journals. His clinical expertise is Craniofacial and Cleft Lip/Palate Orthodontics and is a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthodontics. He is the recipient of multiple research awards (years 2014, 2016, and 2018) from Society of Critical Care Medicine, Peer Reviewer of the Year 2016 Award from Cleft Palate and Craniofacial Journal, Eleanor and Miles Shore 50th Anniversary Fellowship for Scholars in Medicine – Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Dental Medicine scholarship, and was the recipient of the prestigious Harvard School of Dental Medicine Presidential Scholarship (years 2008 to 2010).
Education & Career
- BDS, Ragas Dental College and Hospital, 2000
- MBA The University of Iowa, 2002
- MHA, The University of Iowa, 2006
- PhD (Health Services Research and Policy), The University of Iowa, 2007
- MMSc (Oral Biology), Harvard University, 2010
- Orthodontics Residency - CAGE, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, 2010
- Craniofacial and Cleft Lip/Palate Orthodontics Fellowship, Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard School of Dental Medicine, 2013
- Practice Based Research Network
- Big data analytics, bioinformatics, and machine learning
- Cleft and craniofacial outcomes research
- Health policy and access to care evaluations
- Oral and systemic health linkages
- Rengasamy Venugopalan S, Farrow E, Sanchez-Lara PA, Yen S, Lypka M, Jiang S, Allareddy V. A novel nonsense substitution identified in the AMIGO2 gene in an Occulo-Auriculo-Vertebral spectrum patient. Orthod Craniofac Res. 2019 May;22 Suppl 1:163-167. doi: 10.1111/ocr.12259. PubMed PMID: 31074142.
- Allareddy V, Rengasamy Venugopalan S, Nalliah RP, Caplin JL, Lee MK, Allareddy V. Orthodontics in the era of big data analytics. Orthod Craniofac Res. 2019 May;22 Suppl 1:8-13. doi: 10.1111/ocr.12279. PubMed PMID: 31074158.
- Robb K, Badheka A, Wang T, Rampa S, Allareddy V, Allareddy V. Use of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation and associated outcomes in children hospitalized for sepsis in the United States: A large population-based study. PLoS One. 2019;14(4):e0215730. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0215730. eCollection 2019. PubMed PMID: 31026292; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6485643.
- Castillo JC, Gianneschi G, Azer D, Manosudprasit A, Haghi A, Bansal N, Allareddy V, Masoud MI. The relationship between 3D dentofacial photogrammetry measurements and traditional cephalometric measurements. Angle Orthod. 2019 Mar;89(2):275-283. doi: 10.2319/120317-825.1. PubMed PMID: 30779676.
- Southard TE, Marshall SD, Allareddy V, Shin K. Adult Transverse Diagnosis and Treatment: A Case-Based Review. Seminars in orthodontics. 2019 February; doi: 10.1053/j.sodo.2019.02.008.
- Cutrera A, Allareddy V, Azami N, Nanda R, Uribe F. Is Short Root Anomaly (SRA) a risk factor for increased external apical root resorption in orthodontic patients? A retrospective case control study using cone beam computerized tomography. Orthod Craniofac Res. 2019 Feb;22(1):32-37. doi: 10.1111/ocr.12254. Epub 2018 Dec 13. PubMed PMID: 30451366.
- Finn SC, Silver MT, Canary B, Kantarci A, Allareddy V, Katebi N, Masoud MI. A modified Steiner's analysis that does not require radiographic exposure of the cranial base. Orthod Craniofac Res. 2019 Feb;22(1):1-8. doi: 10.1111/ocr.12250. Epub 2018 Dec 6. PubMed PMID: 30365248.
- Wasalathanthri ND, Zaidi SS, Mahrt E, Srivastava S, Yu KH, Johansson KSL, Li F, Jimenez MFT, Lo C, Allareddy V, Romero-Molina C, Mosegaard S, Heaton SM, Park JJ, Bacon CD, Yu S, Polat EO, Wasalathanthri D, Wang W, Agarwal D. Challenging transitions. Science. 2019 Jan 4;363(6422):24-26. doi: 10.1126/science.aaw2641. PubMed PMID: 30606829.
- Allareddy V, Wang T, Rampa S, Caplin J, Nalliah R, Badheka A, Allareddy V. Prevalence and predictors of C. difficile infections in hospitalized patients with major surgical procedures in the USA: Analysis using traditional and machine learning methods. Am J Surg. 2018 Dec 1;. doi: 10.1016/j.amjsurg.2018.11.014. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 30528819.
- Choi KW, Ko HC, Todoki LS, Finkleman SA, Khosravi R, Wang HF, Funkhouser E, Baltuck C, Raj V, Allareddy V, Matunas JC, Vermette ME, Harrell WE Jr, Coro JC, Greenlee GM, Huang GJ. The National Dental Practice-Based Research Network adult anterior open bite study: A description of the practitioners and patients. Angle Orthod. 2018 Nov;88(6):675-683. doi: 10.2319/070118-491.1. Epub 2018 Sep 12. PubMed PMID: 30207487; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6209525.
- Ukwuoma OI, Allareddy V, Allareddy V, Rampa S, Rose JA, Shein SL, Rotta AT. Trends in Head Computed Tomography Utilization in Children Presenting to Emergency Departments After Traumatic Head Injury. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2018 Sep 25;. doi: 10.1097/PEC.0000000000001618. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 30256318.
- Bilbo EE, Marshall SD, Southard KA, Allareddy V, Holton N, Thames AM, Otsby MS, Southard TE. Long-term skeletal effects of high-pull headgear followed by fixed appliances for the treatment of Class II malocclusions. Angle Orthod. 2018 Sep;88(5):530-537. doi: 10.2319/091517-620.1. Epub 2018 Apr 18. PubMed PMID: 29667470.
- Pietrzak B, Ward A, Cheung MK, Schwendimann BA, Mollaoglu G, Duong MT, Ulltveit-Moe N, Allareddy V, Dutton-Regester K, Zhang J, Scult MA, Naz S, Singh PC, Yan HY, Isaacson K, Dennis AF, Al-Humaidan EI, Beardsley FR, Lo C, Sood P, Jones T, Nieuwenhuis R, Ali BA, Yu KH, Arthur PK, Kumar B, Chen A, Buschke F, Cingl L, Zaidi SS, O'Mullane AP, Coetzee V, Konstantinides N. Education for the future. Science. 2018 Jun 29;360(6396):1409-1412. doi: 10.1126/science.aau3877. PubMed PMID: 29954971.
- Kim AJ, Gu D, Chandiramani R, Linjawi I, Deutsch ICK, Allareddy V, Masoud MI. Accuracy and reliability of digital craniofacial measurements using a small-format, handheld 3D camera. Orthod Craniofac Res. 2018 Jun 4;. doi: 10.1111/ocr.12228. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 29863289.
- Lee MK, Yen SL, Allareddy V. Hospitalization Outcomes of Cleft Lip Repair in Neonates Across the United States. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2018 Apr;55(4):528-535. doi: 10.1177/1055665617726531. Epub 2017 Dec 27. PubMed PMID: 29554443.
- Metalwala Z, Okunseri C, Fletcher S, Allareddy V. Orthognathic Surgical Outcomes in Patients With and Without Craniofacial Anomalies. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2018 Feb;76(2):436.e1-436.e8. doi: 10.1016/j.joms.2017.09.023. Epub 2017 Oct 13. PubMed PMID: 29104030.
Complete list of publications available at: