- Clinical Assistant Professor
Education & Career
- Doctor of Dental Surgery, University of Illinois at Chicago, College of Dentistry
- Certificate of Specialty in Endodontics, University of Illinois at Chicago, College of Dentistry
- Residency in General Practice Dentistry, Northwestern University
- Bachelor of Science in Dentistry, University of Illinois at Chicago, College of Dentistry
Professional Affiliations & Certifications
- Illinois Dental License Illinois Department of Professional Regulation Status: Current
- Illinois Controlled Substances License Illinois Department of Professional Regulation Status: Current
- Illinois Endodontist License Illinois Department of Professional Regulation Status: Current
- Federal Controlled Substances License Drug Enforcement Administration Status: Current
- American Board of Endodontics Status: Board-Eligible
Clinical Activities and Specialties
Faculty Practice Responsibilities:
Providing state-of-the-art endodontic diagnosis and treatment in a setting as efficient and comfortable as possible for patients, staff and practitioners.
Dr. Weeks researches electronic canal length determination, canal preparation techniques, teaching clinical endodontics, diagnosis of orofacial pain, and pharmacology in endodontics.
Active participation in the continuing process of bringing pre-doctoral and post-doctoral students to competence in their respective areas, and maintaining and upgrading competence for continuing education students. Implicit in these endeavors is a continuous effort to improve my own knowledge and skills.
Pre-Doctoral Pre-Clinical and Clinical Endodontics
Lectures to Pre-Clinical (DAOB 322) and Clinical (DBSC 327):
Premolar Access Preparation
Nickel-Titanium Canal Preparation (“Manual” and “Powered”)
Obturation of Prepared Root Canals
Lectures to Third and Fourth-Year Students:
Apex Locators in Clinical Endodontics
Principles of Rotary Canal Preparation
Contributed to protocols for clinical use, by students, of nickel-titanium hand files, powered nickel-titanium instruments and electronic apex locators. Protocols implemented beginning in 1999, and on-going.
Presented “Histology of the Dental Pulp” to first-year students in HSTL 451 February, 1997 to 2004.
Post-Doctoral Didactic and Clinical Endodontics
Teaching seminars in pharmacology, nickel-titanium hand and engine-driven instruments, calcium hydroxide canal medication and electronic apex locators.
Course Director ENDO 613 (“Pharmacology for Dental Specialists”), 2005 to present.
Participation in ENDO 600, pre-clinical orientation to methodologies for new post-doctoral students. Course Director 2014-Present.
Participation in (ENDO 630), Noon-time endodontic literature review sessions
Stephen Juriga; Sandra Manfra Marretta; Stephen M Weeks. Endodontic treatment of a non-vital permanent tooth with an open root apex using mineral trioxide aggregate. Journal of veterinary dentistry. 2008;25(3):189-195.
Stephen M Weeks. Root tips. The Journal of the American Dental Association. 2002;133(7):814.
B.R. Johnson; S.M. Weeks. Implants and endodontics. II. The Journal of the American Dental Association. 2001;132(6):722, 724.
S.M. Weeks. Caring for patients with heart failure. Nursing. 1996;26(3):52-53.
S.M. Weeks. Licorice and tobacco. The Journal of the American Dental Association. 1988;116(6):612.