- Clinical Associate Professor
- Diplomate, American Board of Periodontology
Education & Career
- B.A., University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado
- D.D.S., Northwestern University Dental School, Chicago, Illinois
- NIDR Research Training Fellowship, Colorado State University, Ft. Collins, Colorado
- General Practice Residency, Michael Reese Hospital, Chicago, Illinois
- Certificate in Periodontics, University of Kentucky, College of Dentistry, Lexington, Kentucky
- Private Practice Limited to Periodontics, Chicago, Illinois
Professional Affiliations & Certifications
- Illinois Special Board by Examination-Active
- Diplomate, American Board of Periodontology and Implant Surgery
- Attending Medical Staff, Department of Surgery, Loyola University Hospital, Maywood, Illinois
- Attending Medical Staff, Illinois Masonic Hospital, Chicago, Illinois
- American Dental Association
- American Academy of Periodontology
- Illinois State Dental Society
- Chicago Dental Society
- Chicago Dental Forum
- Alpha Omega Dental Fraternity
Clinical Activities and Specialties
Undergraduate and Graduate Clinical Supervision
Mentoring of Master’s Projects
Small Group Learning Facilitator
Course Director-Critical Literature Review
Course Director-Current Concepts in Theory, Mechanics and Materials in Adult Tooth
Dr. Schmerman is interested on how Classic Literature Review is taught in various Periodontics Residencies. As well as Complications Associated with exposure of impacted teeth.
Ebrahimi N., Obando J., Schmerman, M., Khan S., Kawar N. 2015. Management of thin gingival biotype with hard and soft tissue augmentation post orthodontic treatment: A case report. Open J Dent Oral Med; 3(2): 53-58.
Robinson P., Schmerman, M. 2015. Influence of pregnancy on the oral cavity. Glob. Libr. Women's Med (ISSN: 1756-2228) 2015; DOI 10.3843/GLOWM.10105.
Schmerman M., Nares S. 2017. Peri-implantitis: Causes and treatment. Implant Aesthetics-Keys to Diagnosis and Treatment. E. D. Karateew-Ed: Springer Publishing, Berlin. Pages 407-416.
Sato T., Umehara K., Yotsuya M., Schmerman M. 2017. Biomaterials used with implant abutments and restorations. Implant Aesthetics-Keys to Diagnosis and Treatment. E. D. Karateew-Ed: Springer Publishing, Berlin. Pages 353-368.
Goldberg D., Handelman C., Schmerman M. 2017. Assessment of non-surgical adult expansion and gingival recession. Turkish J Orthod (In Press).