The UIC College of Dentistry faculty are some of the most brilliant minds in oral health. Through intimate and meaningful education experiences combined with innovative and collaborative research, our faculty continue to move the field forward while training the next generation of dentists.
Faculty Quick Facts
- 100 full-time faculty, 42 of which are involved in research
- 121 part-time faculty
- 280 faculty published papers representing all departments. Over 50% of our faculty are engaged in scholarly and research publications.
- 23 countries and over 17 languages represented
- Guy Adami, Associate Professor, and Joel Schwartz, Professor, both of the Department of Oral Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, received a National Cancer Institute grant to study the effects of green tea on carcinogen exposure.
- Satish Alapati, Assistant Professor, Endodontics, received a grant from the American Association of Endodontists Foundation to study dental pulp regeneration.
- Seema Ashrafi, Clinical Associate Professor, Periodontics, was named a Chicago Dental Society Foundation Clinical Fellow.
- Ana Bedran-Russo, Associate Professor, Restorative Dentistry, was elected President of the International Association for Dental Research Dental Materials Group.
- Jennifer Bereckis, Director of Clinical Operations, in 2017 was appointed Chair of the Dental Education Committee for the Illinois State Dental Society. This is the first time in the history of the ISDS that a hygienist has been appointed chair of a committee.
- Stephen Campbell, Head, Restorative Dentistry, was named a Board member for the American College of Prosthodontists Council for the American Board of Prosthodontics.
- Lyndon Cooper, Associate Dean for Research is Chair of the American College of Prosthodontists Education Foundation Board of Directors.
- Joan M. Davis, an Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Oral Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, was chosen the recipient of the American Dental Education Association/ADEAGeis Foundation Fellowship for 2017.
- Luisa DiPietro, Professor, Department of Periodontics, Director of the Center for Wound Healing & Tissue Regeneration, and Associate Vice Chancellor for Research, was named a fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Alison Doubleday, Assistant Professor, Oral Medicine and Diagnostic Sciences, was selected as the recipient of the American Dental Education Association/Colgate-Palmolive Co. Excellence in Teaching Award.
- Erie Family Health Center, which provides quality healthcare in community-based health centers,in 2017 presented its Golden Toothbrush Award to Dr. Caswell Evans, Associate Dean for Prevention and Public Health Sciences, stating, “Erie and the public health community as a whole have benefited tremendously from your role as an educator and champion for the integration of medical and dental care.”
- Flavia Lamberghini, Clinical Assistant Professor, Pediatric Dentistry, earned the 2017 Chicago Dental Society Foundation Vision Award in recognition of outstanding volunteer achievement in supporting access to care programs and dental education for the underserved in the community.
- Anna Manzotti, Clinical Assistant Professor, Restorative Dentistry, was selected by her UIC peers to receive the Teaching Recognition Program Award.
- Michael Miloro, Head, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, was awarded the International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Distinguished Service Award.
- Indru Punwani, Professor Emeritus, Pediatric Dentistry, was selected as the second-ever recipient of the Lewis A. Kay Award from the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry and Pediatric Dental Associates Ltd., honoring the director of a pediatric dental program exemplifying Dr. Kay’s dedication and values.
- A research team led by Sriram Ravindran, Research Assistant Professor, Department of Oral Biology, was the recipient of one of only five UIC Chancellor’s Discovery Fund for Multidisciplinary Research grants, to study biomimetic tissue engineering.
- Adriana Semprum-Clavier, Director of the DMD Advanced Standing Program and Clinical Associate Professor, Restorative Dentistry, was honored with the Colgate-Palmolive Hispanic Dental Association (HAD) National Outstanding Faculty Award.
- Craig Sikora, Clinical Assistant Professor, Restorative Dentistry, won first place in the American College of Prosthodontics Education Foundation John J. Sharry Research Competition in late 2016.
- Clark Stanford, Dean, led a task force of 120 global clinicians and scientists in the establishment of the first set of evidence-based Clinical Practice Guidelines for the dental community on how to manage patients with no teeth in the upper jaw.
- Cortino Sukotjo, Associate Professor, Restorative Dentistry, was named recipient of the American College of Prosthodontists (ACP) Clinician/Researcher Award.
- Emiliya Taneva, Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Orthodontics, received The American Dental Association Council on Dental Practice Robert H. Ahlstrom New Investigator Award for her research project entitled, "3D Evaluation of Palatal Rugae for Human Identification Using Digital Study Models."
- Bin Yang, Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Restorative Dentistry, received the GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) Prosthodontist Innovator Award from the American College of Prosthodontists.
College Bylaws (intranet)
Faculty policies (intranet)
If you have questions, concerns or suggestions, please contact the Director of the Office of Faculty Affairs, Dr. Wendy Cerny at 312-355-2662 (Ext. 5-2662) or at firstname.lastname@example.org, (room 454).
UIC Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs
The UIC Faculty Affairs Office provides helpful resources and information for every stage of your career. Please familiarize yourself with the UIC Faculty Handbook and UIC Faculty Policies, Procedures, and Guidelines.
UIC Office for Access & Equity
The UIC Office for Access and Equity, as part of the Office of the Chancellor, strives to increase access to employment, programs, and services in an environment free of unlawful discrimination and harassment. OAE also offers Dispute Resolution Services (DRS), which provides confidential consultation, facilitation and mediation services to faculty, academic and support staff.
The University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry calls upon students, faculty, administration, and staff to demonstrate the highest of ethical standards to benefit our patients and student education. Our entire oral health care community commits to possessing not only appropriate knowledge, skill and technical competence, but also those traits of character that foster adherence to all ethical principles. The College of Dentistry has the following academic and clinical student policies:
UIC Student Disciplinary Policy
Code of Professionalism for Students
Fitness and Participation Policy and Process
Temporary Removal from Academic and Clinical Activities
Clinical Compliance Policy (Clinical Manual)
Policy on Social Media